Pre-Operative Instructions: Surgical PreparationBack
- Any patients under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at the time of surgery.
- Please wear a loose-fitting short-sleeve shirt and comfortable clothing.
- Please wear flat-soled shoes with ankle support like sneakers (no high heels).
- Please remove contact lenses, all jewelry, and watches before surgery.
- Please do not apply make-up, perfume, or cologne on the day of surgery.
- Please remove fingernail polish on both index fingers.
- Please brush your teeth and rinse thoroughly before surgery.
- If prescribed medication at consultation, please take as directed prior to appointment. You may take this with no more than half a glass of water.
- Please have ice packs available at home after surgery to reduce swelling.
- Please have Advil® or Tylenol® available for after surgery.
- Alcoholic beverages should be avoided 24 hours before and 7 days after surgery.
- Smoking must be avoided 24 hours before surgery and 24 hours after surgery.
- Marijuana must be avoided for 48 hours before surgery and 48 hours after surgery.
Patients having IV sedation:
- DO NOT eat or drink 8 hours prior to surgery, including water or coffee. If you need to take medications, please take them with no more than half a glass of water. Any questions, please call our office. We reserve the right to cancel or postpone surgery if instructions are not followed.
- Please arrange for a ride to and from the office on the day of your surgery. Patients will not be able to drive home after surgery and operate machinery.
- Please inform your driver that he/she will need to stay in the reception room during surgery. We suggest the driver bring some reading material.
- Please have a responsible adult at home to care for you on the day of surgery.
- Please avoid marijuana (inhaled and edible forms) use within 2 days of surgery, as it can interfere with anesthesia medications.
- Please buy suggested foods to have on hand after your surgery. Please refer to recommendations on the food list.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to surgery time to take care of paperwork and financial arrangements. We accept cash, check, Visa®, MasterCard®, Discover® & American Express®.
Patients who are well prepared for their surgery usually have a smoother recovery. We advise the patient to plan and buy some soft food items prior to surgery. The following are examples of soft food items:
- Hearty soups (cream of asparagus, cream of broccoli, lentil, minestrone, split pea)
- Juice (cranberry, apple, grape) but avoid citrus juice for a few days.
- Herbal tea
- Yogurt (soft or frozen), cottage cheese, or pudding/custard
- Soft fruit (banana, papaya, berries, canned peaches, or pears)
- Ice cream & milkshakes
- Fresh cooked vegetables
- Fruit smoothies/protein shakes
- Oatmeal/cream of wheat
- Eggs (scrambled, soft boiled, omelets, egg salad, etc.)
- Mashed potatoes
- Rice or risotto
- Pasta (plain or with sauce)
- Fish (soft white fish, sole, trout, snapper)
Please avoid the following foods for the first 7 days after surgery:
- Spicy foods
- Foods that are difficult to chew
- Popcorn & chips (avoid for a month)
- French bread loafs and baguettes
- Alcoholic beverages
On the day of surgery, begin with clear fluids (juice, broth, tea, Jell-O) and progress slowly to more substantial foods. Remember, it is important to maintain nutrition for optimal healing to occur.
Be sure to rest and take it easy for the first few days; download a few movies and have a relaxing recovery!
Learn more about the procedures we offer, our practice philosophy, and get started on your journey to a healthier life through oral surgery.